Sunday, July 26, 2009

My Father’s Son…

There was a farewell at church today.  Lots of people.  And upon walking in I was surprised to see that, even with all the visitors, the west half of the third row was wide open.

Why was it wide open?

Because that’s “our row.”

And I chuckled.  It was just like growing up.

And upon further reflection I realized something both terrible and wonderful…

I am my father’s son.

That’s the good news.

And the bad.

As much as I fought it in my youth, wanting to be my “own” man, there’s just no outrunning my upbringing.

On the one hand, I seem to have a lot of the tendencies I always loved about Dad.  Most of them are small, private things.  And it makes me feel good… like it’s going to be ok.  I think this story has a happy ending.

And I also struggle with many of the same demons Dad fought his entire life (that I remember).

It’s frustrating.  At times it’s terrifying.

I’m most afraid of the effect my procrastination, risk-taking and disdain for anything resembling authority has on Lauren and my girls.

And I wonder… are Dad’s weaknesses the natural companion to his strengths?  Because what he was good at, there were few better.  And what he was bad at, he was terrible.  Not a lot of balance or moderation.

And I loved that about him.

I also know that those weaknesses were tough on Mom for a long time.  And created tough spots for the family that I mostly avoided… but Amy, Pepper, Brooke and Kristen took on the chin.

It’s tough for me to have perspective here.

I want to be just like Dad.  And I’m terrified I’ll be “just” like Dad.

Where’s Dad when I need to talk to him?