Friday, January 1, 2010

158 Days…

…since I posted on this blog.

Wow.

And my little sisters are running embarrassing circles around me and my (non-)blogging abilities.  Of course, I still have capital letters on my side… so I’ve got that going for me.

This year I’m going to take my sisters on the same way I take on most things online… with an overdose of technology to level the playing field.  I can’t reveal more than that just yet… but I may have actually found a way to post every day.  Woohoo.

Probably not.  But maybe.  We’ll see.

I should at least be able to beat my 14 posts of 2009.  Right?

Right?

Okay… onto the important stuff…

Here is my 10 Things for 2010 Bucket List…

10.  Finally finish a freaking book!  I’ve started writing at least a half-dozen books.  Seriously.  It’s hard work (for me).  I’m so random that it’s difficult for me to think about and write a linear book.

I even had a publisher accept me for an entire series of books (The Evolving Entrepreneur).  I never made it past chapter 6.

This is my year, though.  I have too much working for me.  Everything is pointing to this being a monster year.  Monster, I tell you.

So I’m thinking I could squeeze a book in there.  I don’t even care if it sucks (which is a lie, of course).  I just want to say I did it.

And… I can’t let my brother publish his book and get bragging rights by default.

This really deserves to be higher on the list.  It’s not.

9.  A New car!

11 months ago I totaled my Land Rover.

I still don’t have a replacement.

Grrr.

8.  Eat better.  I’m a terrible eater.  Terrible.

I eat at strange hours (since I’m up at strange hours).  I eat whatever is convenient.  I don’t even attempt to balance anything.  And if I ever eat from more than one food group it means I’m at a restaurant.

And it’s definitely catching up to me.

I need to get the most from my energy in 2010.  And that means better eating.

I’m even considering hiring a personal chef.  Lauren would love that.

7.  Get organized.  Well… that’s a bit lofty for me.  So how about “get manageable”?

Look… I’ve never been organized.  I’m not exactly holding my breath for the organization fairy to sprinkle her magic dust on me.

But I really get to do better.

My business is growing (fast).  My church responsibilities are growing (fast).  My life is more cluttered than ever.

And it’s holding me back.  In the past it’s been annoying.  Now it’s becoming a major obstacle.

I need a good personal assistant.  Really.  Know anyone?

6.  Hello, Mother Nature.

About a year-and-a-half ago I ruptured my achilles tendon playing basketball.  Recovery took a loooooong time (at least in my time… which is like hyper-internet time).

Then I had a scuba accident that has kept me out of the water for more than a year.

Then I rolled my Land Rover down a snowy mountain last January.  Once again, recovery took longer than I hoped.

That’s 3 things in the past 2 years that have seemingly taken away all the activities I love.

I want them back.

I’m 40 years old.  And I feel every bit of it most days.  That doesn’t work for me.

So 2010 is the year of the mountain bike for me.  And the year of scuba.  And the year of rock climbing.  And the year of hiking.  And the year of snowboarding.  And the year of golf.  And… just for good measure… let’s also make it the first year of sky-diving.

5.  The Vacation.  When I was a kid my parents took us on a six-week U.S. / Church history vacation across the country.  In a motorhome.  With a lot of kids.

It was the best.

Yankee Stadium (standing behind Reggie Jackson).  Gettysburg.  Liberty Jail.  The Smithsonian.  Statue of Liberty.  Philadelphia.  Boston Children’s Museum.  Niagara Falls.  Too many places to come close to naming them all.

I think I have as many memories of that trip as I do for the rest of my childhood combined.

Probably it wasn’t really as great as I remember.  But I know I want my kids to feel the same way I do.

It seems we live our lives too small.  We don’t have enough epic adventures.  And why not?  Because they’re a total p.i.t.a. to pull off, that’s why.

So this summer I’m calling forth the Harward Family Epic Adventure, Part 1.

Now on to the hard part… convincing my lovely wife that a month in a motorhome with 3 kids is the greatest thing that will happen to us this year.  Wish me luck.  And probably a few prayers wouldn’t hurt, either ;-)

4.  Blog 365 (Days… not words).  This is a stupid, silly little thing.  It should be easy to do this every day, shouldn’t it?

But it’s Hard (with a capital H… which isn’t in my sisters’ blogcabulary) for me.

But here’s the thing… I’ve enjoyed reading Amy’s and Brooke’s blogs more than they can imagine.  And I’ve learned so much about them.  And I feel like I’ve actually been a part of their lives.

And that’s important.  And real.  And I love it.

And wouldn’t it just be ridiculously petty of me to let my self-conscious, anti-social, perfectionist, over-important feelings get it the way of allowing my brothers and sisters to know me as well?  I think it would be.

That doesn’t make it easier.  But it does make it something that is strangely important to me this year.

3.  $1,000,000.  Enough said.

2.  Graduation 2010.  This won’t make any sense if you’re not part of the 300-person braintrust I created on my 40th birthday.  But I’ve promised them a blowout graduation party.  And I’m stoked.

It will be my premier training event for 2010.  4 days of training like they’ve never experienced.  Even a ropes course.  With my brother.  And probably in Hawaii.

Can it get any better?  I submit that it cannot!

I’ve wanted to do a high-end training like this for years.  And now it’s finally going to happen.  With my own group, no less.

Sweet!

1.  Be a better husband.

Lauren (my wife) has a hard life.  You see, she’s married to me.

And I’m stupefyingly difficult to be with in a committed relationship.

I’m flaky.  And absent-minded.  And cluttered.  And moody.  And ADD.  And inconsistent.  And a procrastinator.  And a know-it-all.  And anti-social.

And she not only puts up with me… she’s my biggest supporter.  And that means everything to me.

Especially when she must routinely feel like she’s running 3rd or 4th place in my life.  My time is so often filled with work at all hours.  And teaching.  And church duties.  And playing.  And the kids.  And even more work.

And it’s not often enough that I spend time focused on her.  And she deserves better.

So that’s my number one commitment for 2010.  1 year from today I want my wife to look back on this year and say, without hesitation, that it was her best year ever… even though she spent a month in a motorhome with her dorky husband and 3 over-active daughters.