Thursday, January 14, 2010

Didn’t I Just Do This?

One thing about blogging… it really emphasizes certain things about life.

Like how fast 24 hours can pass.  It’s staggering, really.

If I was going just by feel I would say I am blogging every 10 hours, or so.  But at the speed of life it’s all I can do to remember it once every 24 hours.  Funny how time (and life) can play tricks on you like that.

I’ve also realized that I live like I eat.

And maybe only my brother Brett can really appreciate what I’m saying here.  It was him that brought my eating habits to my attention.

Several years ago Brett and I were eating at a restaurant… since that’s what you do at a restaurant.

And he noticed I eat my food odd.  (well… odd according to him… just the right way according to me).  If I have a plate with 4 foods on it I don’t cycle between the foods.  I eat all of one food before moving on to the next and eating all of that food, and so on.

And even when I drink my water, I typically drink all my water at once before going back to eat another food group.

Since then I’ve made an effort to be more “normal.”  I don’t know if it’s working, or not.

But since I’ve been blogging I’m noticing that it’s not just about the food.  That’s how I live my life.

If you had asked me 2 weeks ago I would have said I live a varied and full life.

Now I can see that isn’t true.  Doesn’t even approach the truth, really.

I live a lopsided, completely imbalanced life.

And I like it this way.  I just never noticed it until I started blogging.  Well, until I started blogging more than 14 times a year, anyway.

As much as I like to play, I don’t seem to be able to integrate it with my work.  And as much as I like to work, I don’t seem to be able to mix it in with my relationships.

I live like I eat.

When I’m working… that’s all I’m doing.  There is nothing else.  No moderation.  No balance.  Nothing.  But.  Work.

And when I’m done with (or tired of) work then I play.  And when I play, it’s to the extreme… either in my time commitment or the activity of choice.

Three weeks before Christmas I decided to give golf a try again.  It had been years since I golfed.

I liked it.

And golfed every day for the next 2 weeks.

It was all I wanted to do.

And then I was done.

I haven’t even looked at my clubs since then.

And I realize that my whole life is like that.

Today I sat down at my computer and realized that this day was just like the last day.  Which was just like the day before.  And there’s nothing new to say.

I don’t mean to say I have a boring life.  I don’t.

But when it’s time to work I am consumed by work.  There is nothing else.  Including, sleeping, eating, playing, etc.

And that’s all I do.

Until I don’t.

Does that make sense?

I can’t say I dislike it.  I just never noticed it before.

And all that is just a long way of saying that I have nothing new to write about today because it’s the same day I’ve already lived for the past week.  Only different.

And now I’m excited for what’s next on my plate.