Monday, January 4, 2010

Ain’t Technology Grand?

I just finished giving my 5th webinar.  And it hit me that I’m running a business that was entirely impossible not very long ago.

I give web-based seminars (webinars) that are attended live by hundreds of people from all over the world (more than a dozen countries today).  There is a live video feed that can either be of me or my computer screen.  Live audio.  A whiteboard application.

I can even have multiple presenters from anywhere in the world.

I can do live surveys.  Participants can “raise their hands” and ask questions.  They can chat with me or each other.

I can see who’s attending and chat with them individually, or as a group.  I can even see who’s paying attention and who’s not.

It’s just cool… ridiculously so.  And perfect for me.  And I take it for granted that I can communicate like this.

It will never replace live seminars (nor would I want it to).  But what a great way to run an internet-age seminar company.  I can even record the webinar with one click and make it available afterwards for viewing anytime.

Technology can be a real pain sometimes.  Sometimes I dread it.  Often times I despise it.

Mostly, though, I’m fascinated by it.

The stuff we can do today that wasn’t even a faint hope when I first started in business is mind-boggling.

Even something as simple as a blog is a minor miracle… don’t you think?  The ability to communicate intimately with dozens, hundreds, or even thousands at a time is so staggeringly powerful.  The nascent influence we each have today (even if we don’t recognize or acknowledge it) is mind-blowing and awe-inspiring (or possibly frightening).

And so cool.

I’m glad I’m alive today.  Not sure how I would do in any other age (duh), but today couldn’t fit me much better.