Saturday, January 16, 2010

Movie Elitist

Hello.  My name is Matt.  And I’m a movie snob.

Lauren thinks I’m odd because I’ll only go see movies at the new Harkins Norterra.  Why will I only go there?  Because every theater is digital.

Lauren can’t see the difference.  So she doesn’t understand why we would drive further to see a movie.  They’re all the same.

By the way, she said the same thing when we got our 1080p HD TV.

What?  How can you not see the difference?  It’s like going from black and white to color.

I don’t understand it.

Why can I see the difference so plainly and to Lauren there is no difference at all?

And I’m writing about this today because the stunning contrast between digital and film projection was reinforced.

For most Saturdays recently I’ve taken Lauren and my mom to go see a movie each Saturday morning.  We hardy ever get to go see movies and this has turned into something I enjoy and quite look forward to.

And it’s my excuse to go to the new Norterra digital theaters.  Because they’re right smack dab in the middle of my house and mom’s.  So we just meet at the theater… and it just happens to be the best theater in town.  (If you live in Phoenix you have to go there and watch a movie in digital… I’m telling you, it’s a totally difference experience.)

Well, today we had to change venues to accommodate the Cardinals game (starting in about 5 minutes).  So we went to the AMC Deer Valley 30 cinema.  And it’s not digital.

And I learned something about myself…

I am a movie elitist.

I could hardly watch the movie I was so distraction by the film projection.

It was like going to someone’s house to watch a big game and discovering they don’t have Hi-Def… it’s not even worth it anymore.

I’m spoiled.  And I can tell the difference.  And I’m a snob about it.

Lauren was talking to me like I’m a child… “stop whining about the picture.  It looks the same.  Just watch the movie.”

Only I couldn’t “just watch the movie.”  And I know that makes me an entitled, spoiled, movie brat.

So be it.

Digital is so much better.

P.S.  This post is a pre-emptive post just in case the Cardinals lose today.  Then I don’t have to come back and rant and rail about the game.  And I also don’t have to smash my MacBook or bust up a perfectly good keyboard.  Just in case.

Go Cardinals.