Friday, January 15, 2010

I’m An Embarrassment to My Family…

I am so the opposite of my wife and daughters.  And sisters, for that matter.

I can give Lauren $100 and she’ll clothe the entire family in inexpensive, yet stylish, clothes that she finds for $7 at who knows where.  I love that she can do that.  And she enjoys it.  If it were an Olympic sport I think I would put the photo of her on the podium in our hallway.

She’s good.

As are my sisters.

And I am not.

In fact… I would go so far as to say that I the anti-Lauren shopper.

Today I went shopping for some jeans.  Here’s my haul…

From the Buckle…

  • 2 pairs of jeans
  • 2 t-shirts
  • 1 belt

Total: $416.91

From Macy’s…

  • 1 pair of shoes
  • 1 shirt

Total: $150.94 (the shoes were on sale)

From Abercrombie & Fitch…

  • 1 jacket

Total: $108.18 (also on sale for 50% off… woohoo)

Grand Total: $676.03

…And I was proud of myself for keeping it so low.  I’m pretty sure that doesn’t crack my top 20.

And I can’t even fathom doing it much cheaper.

But I’m pretty sure Lauren could clothe a small island nation for that amount.  (She was a great sport, by the way.  Didn’t even blink at the Buckle.)

And I would be ashamed to let Brooke see my receipts because she probably has coupons and some crazy buying combination that would give me 90% off and I’d also go home with 37 tubes of Colgate toothpaste for free… or something like that.

But I am whatever the opposite of bargain shopper is.  I think they could even name it after me.  Or maybe it’s just called “male” shopper.  I don’t know.

I do know, however, that the two shopping experiences could not be any more different.

I like shopping with Lauren.  Because it’s like a game.  It’s competitive.  You can keep score.  It’s fun.

But not nearly as fun as just going out and getting exactly what I want and then coming home.  Now that’s a successful shopping trip.

Right?

Which shopper are you?