Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Little Nook Nook…

*Grin*

I got a new toy today.

Did you know I really like getting new toys?  Especially when I’m the only one I know who has said toy.

I am an admitted gadget- and gizmo-aholic.

So when my new Barnes & Noble Nook arrived today I just had to drop everything to check it out.  (Don’t judge the photos too harshly… I’m not my sisters or my daughter and I don’t walk around constantly with a camera in my pocket.  So my iPhone camera will have to suffice.)

photo

In case you don’t know what a Nook is, it’s a ebook reader.  It uses a super-cool display technology that looks exactly like printed paper… you seriously can’t tell it’s an electronic display.  Andi still thought the printed sticker was on the screen when I first showed it to her.

Since the display is like paper it’s supposed to be much easier on the eyes than reading from a computer screen.

And that also helps give the Nook a ridiculously long battery life… I think it’s a couple weeks of use.

And it can hold thousands of books and documents (I can send personal documents or pdfs from my computer to my Nook).

Anyway… that’s all well and good.  But that’s only the justification I used to convince Lauren to let me get it.

Really, I just wanted to get it because it seemed cool.  And it’s just a bonus that it could actually prove to be very useful as well.

Did I mention I like slick new gadgets?

photo (3) photo (5)

I started it up and bought my first 2 books immediately (SuperFreakonomics and Rising Tide).  Way easy… and the books are automatically delivered wirelessly a few seconds later.

I like that I can adjust the text size (since my old-man eyes sometimes need a bigger font) and even the font.  I can even highlight and bookmark.

Surprisingly, there isn’t a good version of the scriptures available yet.

But there are hundreds of thousands of other books available.  Seriously.  And a bunch of them are free.

And usually digital books are significantly cheaper than their physical counterparts (for obvious reasons).  New bestsellers (only available in hardback offline) are usually less than $10.

I’m excited to read my first full book on it.  I’ll let you know how it goes.

Also, I like gadgets.