Thursday, January 7, 2010

No. I Don’t Have Cancer….

Being bald has it’s advantages.

I love not worrying about my hair.  I love accepting / embracing what is and not feeling self-conscious about it.

I love how it looks… especially when I grow out my goatee, shave my head, and get to look mean.  It’s good practice for when the girls get older and start dating.

That’s not to say it doesn’t have its downsides, though.

For example, I went golfing on Christmas Eve.  At one point I was trying to jump into a moving golf cart.  Something I’ve done hundreds of times before.

But I forgot the golf cart had a GPS unit hanging from the roof and I accidentally dove head-first into it.  It wasn’t a big deal… but I have no hair to cushion the blow (the same principle applies when I walk into a high kitchen cupboard one of the kids has left open).

The first bad thing that happens is that every little blemish, bump and scrape is visible.  People with hair don’t have to worry about that (and it happens way more often than you realize).

In this instance I came away with a pretty good cut / scrape across the top of my head.

And that’s when the second disadvantage comes into play…

When I have a cut on my head I usually can’t shave again until the cut or scrape is healed.

This one was bad enough that I haven’t been able to shave my head since it happened.

It was so bad that Lauren texted me during church (during the sacrament, of all things) while I was up on the stand.  She told me to stop leaning forward and looking down because my bald head with a big scab on the crown looked gross.

At least my phone wasn’t sitting on the wood pillar next to my seat (to adjust the pulpit position and the sound).  And at least it wasn’t on vibrate.  And at least it didn’t vibrate *really* loud while the sacrament was being passed.

Oh, wait, all that really happened?  That was probably pretty embarrassing then.

Okay… so fast forward to today.

I’ve finally decided my head is healed enough to shave again.

Except now it’s so long I really need to buzz it with clippers first (the razor just doesn’t cut it after a certain point).  Only I’m way too lazy for that.  I figure I’ll just give it a go with the razor first and see what happens.

Didn’t work.

So I get out of the shower and make a mental note that I need to buzz my head as soon as I’m dry.

Only I’m a space cadet.  And I forget.  And I sit down at my computer… which means all bets are off.

2 hours later I’m hungry.  To put it mildly.

So I gather the family and head to a restaurant.

As we’re driving away Lauren screams.

Why?

Because I have an aborted, incomplete shave-job going on up top.  And I’m really hungry.  And I just don’t want to take the time to get out the clippers and buzz it before heading out.

So my mortified wife got to dine with an apparent cancer patient / burn victim tonight.  We got a lot of funny looks.

Whatever.

Wouldn’t be complete without the pics.  Enjoy…

IMG_0125 IMG_0124 

P.S.  I still haven’t finished the job.  I better do it *right now* or I’ll probably end up going to church like this on Sunday.