Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My Human Sound Effect Machine

Saturday I bought Lauren a new notebook computer.  I think that was a good thing… but I have my doubts.

I got all the basics installed and asked her what else she wants to do with it.

“Image editing.”

No problem.  I use Adobe Photoshop routinely and I own several copies.  I would install that.

Nope.  That’s not the program she knows.

Corel PhotoPaint it is, then.

The only problem?  I don’t know Corel, so I’m not much help to her when she gets stuck.  I think we both underestimate how much that matters when Lauren wants to get something done quickly and easily on the computer.

So today she decides she’s going to use her new toy to make babysitting business cards for Andi for the summer.

And for the past 2 hours I’ve been sitting at my computer chuckling at her broad array of human sound effects as she figures out what she’s doing (it’s been years since she last used Corel).

Do you have anyone like that?

She chirps and squeals and grunts and growls.  Audible gasps.  Disheartened moans.  Brief fits of self-applause and congratulatory oooohs and aaaaahs.  All punctuated by random bursts of “No”, “Stop”, “What?”, “Why?”, “Wait” and my personal favorite…. “Hoooooneeeeey!”

That’s the drop everything voice where I know I’m about to have 1 less computer in the house unless I can hoof it into the other room in time to spare it’s promising and, as yet unfulfilled, digital life.

And this goes on for 2 solid hours.  High comedy.

I think the funniest part is that she clearly has no idea how comical it is.  Sometimes I hide right around the corner where she can’t easily see me and I watch her while she performs what I can only assume is some sort of traditional computer “rain dance” designed to deliver the results the desires.

Funny stuff.