Monday, February 8, 2010

“I Gotta’ Be Honest, Here… I’m a Little Stressed”

That was my quote to Chris as we passed through Cedar City.  It was raining.  And 30 degrees.

Hmmm. Icy roads.  Freezing weather.  Only missing the middle-of-the-night pitch-black darkness vibe to totally creep me out.

Oh, wait… it was 11:00 PM, overcast, and black as pitch.

I didn’t think I would be that affected by driving in those kinds of conditions again.

I was wrong.

So I was a little stressed for the last 2 hours of my trip up to Brian Head.  Cold.  Icy.  Snowing.  Mountain roads.  Dark.

Oh, yeah.  That’s what I’m talking about.  Fun times.

But I’m finally here.

Love the Volvo.  No problem handling the conditions… including the 4-wheel-drive only mountain roads for the last 6 miles to the resort.

Atrocious gas mileage, though.  Seriously.  Maybe 16 MPG on the highway.  Ugh.

But it got me here safe.  And it’s got plenty of power.  And lots of room.  Got 2 full-size snowboard bags and a bunch of other luggage with plenty of room to spare.

I was really pleased to discover the Cedar Breaks Lodge (where I’m staying) shares a parking lot with the Brian Head Ski Resort.  Slept in this morning after a long drive and got in a great half-day of ‘boarding.

Absolutely stunning conditions up here.  It’s about 25 degrees and sunny (which is fantastic boarding weather).  We got 7 inches of new powder last night and it made for unbelievable boarding.

I don’t think there were 50 other people on the mountain.  Definitely one of my better boarding days.

I have some video.  I’ll post it tomorrow.

Also, it’s beautiful up here.

The first time I ever saw Cedar Breaks was when my dad and I drove up here a few years before he passed.  He wanted me to see what he thought was one of the most beautiful places in Utah.

He was right.  I’m glad he shared it with me.  Very peaceful and serene when I board alone or hike around the resort property.  I’m right in the woods.

The view out my bedroom window is stunning.  Last night I just sat by my fireplace and watched the moon shine off the snow in the trees out back.  Definitely my kind of place.

I’ll see if I can get some decent iPhone pics (I don’t carry a camera) and some Flip vids to post tomorrow.

Also, I make this invitation every year when I go snowboarding… if you want to come up and board with me then I’d love to have you.  I can only think of a handful of people that might take me up on that.  Specifically, I’d love to see the twins or Jason head down.

Great boarding.  Small crowds.  Multiple terrain parks.  Powder and groomed powder everywhere.  There’s even a tube park right next to my resort if you want to bring kids (yes, Brooke, I’m talking to you).

Oh… and no phone service up here (for AT&T.  Apparently Verizon is fine.  Grrr).  But at least I get really crappy internet.  So I’ve got that going for me.