Wednesday, February 25, 2009

1 World… 2 Views…

In the past 4 days I finished 2 astonishingly excellent books that prominently feature the Middle East.  I highly recommend both… for different reasons.

Three Cups of Tea is an amazing, inspirational story of American Greg Mortenson’s commitment and efforts to build schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan.  I’m not sure how you could read that book and not come away feeling a renewed sense of urgency to be your greatest contribution to the world.

Truly moving.  And it may very well change how you see the people of Pakistan and Afghanistan forever.  At least I hope it does.  Read it and see.

The other book is Hot, Flat and Crowded by Thomas L. Friedman.  It’s kind of a sequel to The World is Flat, which I read a few years ago.

Hot, Flat and Crowded is most definitely *not* a book for everyone.  It’s a much heavier read.  And it will likely have the polar opposite effect of Three Cups of Tea.  You’ll be frustrated, angry and indignant at the ignorance of our society and the disastrous environmental, political and social legacy we are passing on to our children and beyond.

It’s maddening.

So don’t read it if you’re looking for a pick-me-up.  If, however, you are looking to be emotionally charged and have your beliefs about our world severely challenged then read it.  Be prepared to dig deep to really confront the reality exposed.

And if you’re a business owner or manager at any level I would make it a must-read.  No question.  Again… it will change how you see the future of business and opportunity.  And, if you’re like me, you’ll be excited for your new vision.

It was purely accidental on my part, but I would recommend reading Hot, Flat and Crowded first, followed by Three Cups of Tea.  The latter book took some of the edge off the frustration presented by the first.

Regardless, both will expand your humanity and spirituality… although in vastly different ways.

This genre of books has produced some of my favorite reads over the past year.  I’d put both of these in the same class as The Kite Runner (another must read) and better than The World is Flat and A Thousand Splendid Suns.